Website:Eric Brown Lab
- B.S., Harvey Mudd College
- Ph.D., University of California, Santa Barbara
Experimental fluid dynamics and soft matter. My current interests include the following problems:
- Development of low-dimensional models for coherent structures in turbulence that can efficiently solve a wide variety of problems with applications ranging from climate and weather to heating and cooling systems.
- Demonstration of a fluid dynamo in the laboratory using suspensions of magnetic particles in liquid-metals, to understand the origin and dynamics of planetary magnetic fields.
- Understanding some of the unusual mechanical properties of suspensions and granular materials, such as shear thickening and jamming, and design such materials with properties tuned for specific applications.
Selected Awards & Honors:
National Science Foundation CAREER Award for "Large-scale structures in turbulent dynamo experiments with liquid-metal suspensions," 2013.
Click here for a complete, up-to-date, list of publications.
- Gripping and releasing apparatus and method, USPTO Appl No. 13/641,230