Ph.D., Stanford University
The Ahn research group focuses on the fabrication and the study of the physical properties of novel complex oxide materials using advanced growth and characterization techniques, including molecular beam epitaxy and synchrotron x-ray scattering techniques. Current interests include the physics and technology of multifunctional oxides, nanofabrication and electronic writing using scanning probe microscopies, electronic control of complex order parameters in correlated oxides, and development of nonvolatile logic switches for post-CMOS computing paradigms.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2003)
- Peter Mark Memorial Award, AVS Science and Technology Society's premier honor. This award honors a young scientist or engineer for outstanding theoretical or experimental work. Prof. Ahn was singled out "For his pioneering work on epitaxial complex oxide thin film heterostructures." (2003)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (2001)
- A. Disa, D. Kumah, A. Malashevich, H. Chen, D. Arena, E. Specht, S. Ismail-Beigi, F. J. Walker, and C. H. Ahn, Orbital engineering in symmetry-breaking polar heterostructures. Physical Review Letters, 114, 026801, 2015. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.114.026801
- I. Bozovic, and C. H. Ahn, A new frontier for superconductivity. Nature Physics, 10, 892, 2014. DOI: 10.1038/nphys3177
- M. G. Han, M. Marshall, L. Wu, M. Schofield, T. Aoki, R. Twesten, J. Hoffman, F. J. Walker, C. H. Ahn, and Y. Zhu, Interface-induced nonswitchable domains in ferroelectric thin films. Nature Communications 5, 4693. 2014. DOI: 10.1038/ncomms5693
- D. Kumah, A. Disa, J. Ngai, H. Chen, A. Malashevich, J. W. Reiner, S. Ismail-Beigi, F. J. Walker, and C. H. Ahn, Tuning the structure of nickelates to achieve two-dimensional electron conduction. Advanced Materials, 26, 1935, 2014. DOI: 10.1002/adma.2013042562014
- H. Chen, D. Kumah, A. Disa, F. J. Walker, C. H. Ahn, and S. Ismail-Beigi, Modifying the Electronic Orbitals of Nickelate Heterostructures via Structural Distortions. Physical Review Letters 110(18), 186402, 2013. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.110186402
- H. Chen, Q. Qiao, M. Marshall, A. Georgescu, A. Gulec, P. Phillips, R. Klie, F. J. Walker, C. H. Ahn, and S. Ismail-Beigi, Reversible Modulation of Orbital Occupations via an Interface-Induced Polar State in Metallic Manganites. Nano Letters, 14(9), 4965, 2014. DOI: 10.1021/nl501209p
- C. Xiong, W. Pernice, J. Ngai, J. W. Reiner, D. Kumah, F. J. Walker, C. H. Ahn, and H. Tang, Active silicon integrated nanophotonics: ferroelectric BaTiO3 devices. Nano Letters, 14(3), 1419, 2014. DOI: 10.1021/nl404513p
- J. Ngai, F. Walker and C. Ahn, Correlated Oxide Physics and Electronics. Annual Review of Materials Research, 44, 1, 2014. DOI: 10.1146/annurev‐matsci‐070813‐113248
- J.W. Reiner, K.F. Garrity, F.J. Walker, S. Ismail-Beigi, and C.H. Ahn, The role of strontium in oxide epitaxy on silicon (001). Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 105503, 2008. DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.101.105503
- J.W. Reiner, F.J. Walker, and C.H. Ahn, Atomically Engineered Oxide Interfaces. Science 323, 1018, 2009. DOI: 10.1126/science.1169058
- D.G. Schlom and C.H. Ahn, Clear leap for superconductors. Nature, 456, 582, 2008. DOI: 10.1038/456582a
- K.M. Rabe, C.H. Ahn, and J.-M. Triscone Physics of Ferroelectrics: A Modern Perspective, eds. (Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2007).
- C.H. Ahn, M.R. Beasley, S.J Benerofe, M.M. Fejer, R.H. Hammond, M.D. Levenson, W. Wang, "Atomic absorption apparatus using a phase-modulated light beam", U.S. patent 5,530,541.
- O. Fischer, J.-M. Triscone, C. H. Ahn, M. R. Beasley, C. Renner, T. Tybell, "Electric or electronic component and application as nonvolatile memory and device with surface acoustic waves ", U.S. patent 6,677629 and European patent EP 0972284B1.