- Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., M.S., The Hebrew University, Jerusalem
Membrane-based processes for energy-efficient desalination and wastewater reuse; sustainable production of water and energy generation with engineered osmosis; environmental applications and implications of nanomaterials; water and sanitation in developing countries.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Eni Prize for 'Protection of the Environment' (2015)
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher in the Category: Chemistry (2015)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences Distinguished Scholar (formerly known as "Einstein Professorship") (2015)
- Thomson Reuters Highly Cited Researcher in the Category: Environment/Ecology (2014)
- The Charles R. O'Melia Distinguished Educator Award, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (2014)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Outstanding Paper Award (2012)
- Super Reviewer Award, Environmental Science & Technology (2012)
- Yale University Postdoctoral Mentoring Prize (2012)
- The Simon W. Freese Environmental Engineering Award and Lecture, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE (2011)
- Liza Cariaga-Lo Faculty Award for Diversity in Scholarship and Service, Yale University (2011)
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers Lawrence K. Cecil Award (2008)
- Election to the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (2007)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Frontier Award in Research (2006)
- AWWA First Place Best Doctoral Dissertation Award (Doctoral Student Natalie Tufenkji) (2006)
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering (2006)
- The Athalie Richardson Irvine Clarke Prize (2005)
- Trendsetter, Public Works Magazine (2005)
- Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology (2004)
- Yale University, Graduate Mentor Award (2004)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Doctoral Dissertation Award (Doctoral Student Eric M.V.Hoek) (2002)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Outstanding Paper Award (2002)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize (1996)
- W.M. Keck Foundation, Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (1994)
- National Science Foundation, Research Initiation Award (1990)
- Environmental Engineering and Chemistry Student Award, American Chemical Society (1989)
For complete list click here
- Membrane-based Processes for Wastewater Nutrient Recovery: Technology, Challenges, and Future Direction, Water Research, 89, 2016, 210-221.
- Pressure-Retarded Osmosis for Power Generation from Salinity Gradients: Is it Viable?" Energy & Environmental Science, 9, 2016, 31-48.
- Antimicrobial Properties of Graphene Oxide Nanosheets: Why Size Matters, Perreault, F., Fonseca de Faria, A., Nejati, S., & Elimelech, M., ACS Nano, 9, 2015, 7226-7236.
- Controlled Architecture of Dual-functional Block Copolymer Brushes on Thin-Film Composite Membranes for Integrated 'Defending' and 'Attacking' Strategies against Biofouling, Ye, G., Lee, J., Perreault, F., & Elimelech, M., ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 7, 2015, 23069-23079.
- Mitigating biofouling on thin-film composite polyamide membranes using a controlled-release platform, Zodrow, K.R., Tousley, M.E., and Elimelech, M., Journal of Membrane Science, 453, 2014, 84–91.
- Desalination and Reuse of High-Salinity Shale Gas Produced Water: Drivers, Technologies, and Future Directions, Shaffer, D.L., Arias Chavez, L.H., Ben-Sasson, M., Romero-Vargas Castrillon, S., Yip, N.Y., and Elimelech, M., Environmental Science & Technology, 47, 2013, 9569–9583.
- Membrane-Based Processes for Sustainable Power Generation using Water and Wastewater, Logan, B.E. and Elimelech, M., Nature, 488, 2012, 313-319.
- The Future of Seawater Desalination: Energy, Technology, and the Environment, Elimelech, M. and Phillip, W.A., Science, 333, 2011, 712-717.
- Thin-Film Composite Pressure Retarded Osmosis Membranes for Sustainable Power Generation from Salinity Gradients, Yip, N.Y., Tiraferri, A., Phillip, W.A., Schiffman, J.D., Hoover, L.A., Kim, Y.C., and Elimelech, M., Environmental Science & Technology, 45, 2011, 4360–4369.
- Electronic Structure Dependent Bacterial Cytotoxicity of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes", Vecitis, C.D., Zodrow, K.R., Kang, S., Elimelech, M., ACS Nano, 4, 2010, 5471-5479.
- Science and Technology for Water Purification in the Coming Decades, Shannon, M.A., Bohn, P.W., Elimelech, M., Georgiadis, J.G., Mariñas, B.J. and Mayes, A.M., Nature, 452, 2008, 301-310.