- Ph.D., The Johns Hopkins University
- B.S., M.S., The Hebrew University, Jerusalem
Membrane-based processes for energy-efficient desalination and wastewater reuse; sustainable production of water and energy generation with engineered osmosis; environmental applications and implications of nanomaterials; water and sanitation in developing countries.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Outstanding Paper Award (2012)
- Super Reviewer Award, Environmental Science & Technology (2012)
- Yale University Postdoctoral Mentoring Prize (2012)
- The Simon W. Freese Environmental Engineering Award and Lecture, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE (2011)
- Liza Cariaga-Lo Faculty Award for Diversity in Scholarship and Service, Yale University (2011)
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers Lawrence K. Cecil Award (2008)
- Election to the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (2007)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Frontier Award in Research (2006)
- AWWA First Place Best Doctoral Dissertation Award (Doctoral Student Natalie Tufenkji) (2006)
- Elected to the National Academy of Engineering (2006)
- The Athalie Richardson Irvine Clarke Prize (2005)
- Trendsetter, Public Works Magazine (2005)
- Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology (2004)
- Yale University, Graduate Mentor Award (2004)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Doctoral Dissertation Award (Doctoral Student Eric M.V.Hoek) (2002)
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) Outstanding Paper Award (2002)
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize (1996)
- W.M. Keck Foundation, Engineering Teaching Excellence Award (1994)
- National Science Foundation, Research Initiation Award (1990)
- Environmental Engineering and Chemistry Student Award, American Chemical Society (1989)
- Membrane-Based Processes for Sustainable Power Generation using Water and Wastewater, Logan, B.E. and Elimelech, M., Nature, 488, 2012, 313-319.
- The Future of Seawater Desalination: Energy, Technology, and the Environment, Elimelech, M. and Phillip, W.A., Science, 333, 2011, 712-717.
- Tuning Structure and Properties of Graded Triblock Terpolymer-Based Mesoporous and Hybrid Films", Phillip, W.A., Dorin, R.M., Werner, J.G., Hoek, E.M.V., Wiesner, U., and Elimelech, M., Nano Letters, 11, 2011, 2892–2900.
- Thin-Film Composite Pressure Retarded Osmosis Membranes for Sustainable Power Generation from Salinity Gradients, Yip, N.Y., Tiraferri, A., Phillip, W.A., Schiffman, J.D., Hoover, L.A., Kim, Y.C., and Elimelech, M.,Environmental Science & Technology, 45, 2011, 4360–4369.
- Nanocomposites of Vertically Aligned SWNTs by Magnetic Alignment and Polymerization of a Lyotropic Precursor, Mauter, M.S., Elimelech, M., and Osuji, C.O., ACS Nano, 4, 2010, 6651-6658.
- Electronic Structure Dependent Bacterial Cytotoxicity of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes", Vecitis, C.D., Zodrow, K.R., Kang, S., Elimelech, M., ACS Nano, 4, 2010, 5471-5479.
- Science and Technology for Water Purification in the Coming Decades, Shannon, M.A., Bohn, P.W., Elimelech, M., Georgiadis, J.G., Mariñas, B.J. and Mayes, A.M., Nature, 452, 2008, 301-310.
- Global Challenges in Energy and Water Supply: The Promise of Engineered Osmosis, McGinnis, R.L. and Elimelech, M., Environmental Science & Technology, 42, 2008, 8625-8629.
- A Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Filter for Removal of Viral and Bacterial Pathogens, Brady-Estévez, A.S., Kang, S., and Elimelech, M., Small, 4, 2008, 481-484.
- Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Exhibit Strong Antimicrobial Activity, Kang, S., Pinault, M., Pfefferle, L.D. and Elimelech, M., Langmuir, 23, 2007, 8670-8673.
- Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries: Including Health in the Equation, Montgomery, M.A. and Elimelech, M., Environmental Science and Technology, 41, 2007, 17-24.
- A Novel Ammonia-Carbon Dioxide Forward (Direct) Osmosis Desalination Process, J.R. McCutcheon, R.L. McGinnis, Menachem Elimelech, 2005, Desalination, 174, 1-11.