- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., University of Science and Technology of China
Dr. Fan's research is focused on combining single-cell analysis technology and systems biology to study cell-cell communication and cellular heterogeneity in human cancers and the immune system. In particular, his laboratory developed a microchip platform for highly multiplexed protein measurement in single cells and a microfluidic processor to facilitate genomic, epigenetic, and transcriptional profiling at the single-cell level. The end goal was to accelerate the translational development of these technology platforms to clinical tools for informative immune monitoring or cancer diagnosis.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) award (2014)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (2012)
- Alzheimer's Association, New Investigator Research Award (2011)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation GCE Research Award (2010)
- NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award (2009-2013)
- Gold Medal, Graduate Student Award, the Materials Research Society (2006)
- Xue Q, Lu Y, Eisele MR, Sulistijo E, Fan R*, and Miller-Jensen K*, Analysis of single-cell secretion reveals a role for paracrine signaling in coordinating macrophage response to TLR4 stimulation, Science Signaling, 8, 381 (2015).
- Lu Y, Xue Q, Eisele MR, Sulistijo E, Brower K, Han L, Amir ED, Pe'er D, Miller-Jensen K *, and Fan R*, Highly multiplexed profiling of immune effector functions reveals deep functional heterogeneity in response to pathogenic ligands, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., U.S.A., 112(7), 607-615 (2015).
- Kleppe M, Kwak M, Koppikar P, Riester M, Keller M, Bastian L, Hricik T, Bhagwat N, Abdel-Wahab OI, Marubayashi S, Chen JJ, Romanet V, Fridman JS, Bromberg J, Murakami M, Radimerski T, Michor F, Fan R*, and Levine RL*. JAK-STAT Pathway Activation in Malignant and Non-Malignant Cells Contributes to MPN Pathogenesis and Therapeutic Response, Cancer Discovery, 5(3), 316–31 (2015).
- Han L, Zi XY, Garmire LX, Wu Y, Weissman SM, Pan XH, and Fan R, Co-detection and sequencing of genes and transcripts from the same single cells facilitated by a microfluidics platform, Scientific Reports, 4, 6485 (2014).
- Kwak M, Kim DJ, Han L, Lee MR, Wu Y, Lee SK, and Fan R. Nanowire array chips for molecular typing of rare trafficking leukocytes with application to neurodegenerative pathology, Nanoscale, 6(12), 6537-50 (2014). (cover highlight)
RSC Chemistry World, March 28, 2014. "Rare cell analysis platform pursues neurodegeneration answers"
- Lu Y, Chen JJ, Mu L, Xue Q, Wu Y, Wu PH, Li J, Vortmeyer AO, Miller-Jensen K, Wirtz D, and Fan R, High-throughput Secretomic Analysis of Single Cells to Assess Functional Cellular Heterogeneity, Analytical Chemistry, 85 (4), 2548–2556, (2013).
National Cancer Institute (NCI). Research News: "New Single-Cell Measurement Techniques Reveal Significant Functional Heterogeneity". February, 2013.
- Lee SK, Kim, GS, Wu Y, Lu Y, Han L, Kim DJ, Hyung JH, Seol JK, Sander C, Gonzalez A, Li J & Fan R, Nanowire Substrate-based Laser Scanning Cytometry for Quantitation of Circulating Tumor Cells, Nano Letters, 12(6), 2697-2704 (2012)
Yale SEAS News: "Gone Fishing: New System Captures Rare Cancer Cells from Blood Samples" June 2012.