- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley
- B.S., University of Science and Technology of China
Dr. Fan's research is focused on combining single-cell analysis technology and systems biology to study cell-cell communication and cellular heterogeneity in human cancers and the immune system. In particular, his laboratory developed a microchip platform for highly multiplexed protein measurement in single cells and a microfluidic processor to facilitate genomic, epigenetic, and transcriptional profiling at the single-cell level. The end goal was to accelerate the translational development of these technology platforms to clinical tools for informative immune monitoring or cancer diagnosis.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- NSF Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) award (2014)
- Packard Fellowship for Science and Engineering (2012)
- Alzheimer's Association, New Investigator Research Award (2011)
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation GCE Research Award (2010)
- NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award (2009-2013)
- Gold Medal, Graduate Student Award, the Materials Research Society (2006)
- Kwak M, Kim DJ, Han L, Lee MR, Wu Y, Lee SK, and Fan R*. Nanowire array chips for molecular typing of rare trafficking leukocytes with application to neurodegenerative pathology, Nanoscale, 6(12), 6537-50 (2014).
- Guo S, Zi XY, Schultz V, Cheng LJ, Zhong M, Koochaki S, Megyola CM, Pan XH, Heydari K, Weissman SM, Gallagher PG, Krause DS, Fan R, and Lu J, Non-stochastic reprogramming from a privileged somatic cell state, Cell, 156, 1-14 (2014).
- Lu Y, Chen JJ, Mu L, Xue Q, Wu Y, Wu PH, Li J, Vortmeyer AO, Miller-Jensen K, Wirtz D, and Fan R*, High-throughput Secretomic Analysis of Single Cells to Assess Functional Cellular Heterogeneity, Analytical Chemistry, 85 (4), 2548–2556, (2013).
- Lee SK, Kim, GS, Wu Y, Lu Y, Han L, Kim DJ, Hyung JH, Seol JK, Sander C, Gonzalez A, Li J & Fan R*, Nanowire Substrate-based Laser Scanning Cytometry for Quantitation of Circulating Tumor Cells, Nano Letters, 12(6), 2697-2704 (2012).
- Ma C*, Fan R*, Ahmad H, Shi Q, Comin-Anduix B, Chodon T, Koya RC, Liu CC, Kwong GA, Radu CG, Ribas A and Heath JR. A clinical microchip for evaluation of single immune cells reveals high functional heterogeneity in phenotypically similar T cells, Nature Medicine, 17, 738-743 (2011). (*co-first author)
- Fan R*, Vermesh O*, Srivastava A, Yen BKH, Qin LD, Ahmad H, Kwong GA, Liu CC, Gould J, Hood L & Heath JR, Integrated barcode chips for rapid, multiplexed analysis of proteins in microliter quantities of blood. Nature Biotechnology 26, 1373-1378 (2008). (* co-first author).