Juan Fernandez de la Mora
Website:Yale DMA-MS Facility
Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Room / Office: Mason M6
9 Hillhouse AvenueNew Haven, CT 06511
P.O. Box 208284New Haven, CT 06520
Phone: (203) 432-4347
Fax: (203) 432-7654
- Ph.D., Yale University
- B.S., Polytechnical University, Madrid
Fluid mechanics, ion-induced nucleation, electrified interfaces (Taylor cones, electrosprays), experimental techniques for analysis of nanoaerosols, ion mobility instrumentation, mass spectrometery, electrical propulsion, real time vapor analysis.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Harding Bliss Prize from the Engineering and Applied Science Department, Yale (1981)
- Yale Junior Faculty Fellowship (1984)
- K. Whitby Award from the American Association of Aerosol Research (1985)
- Member, Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences (1993)
- Research fellow, Japan Society for Promotion of Science (May-June 1996)
- Corresponding Member, Spanish Academy of Engineering (1998)
- Sinclair Award from the American Association of Aerosol Research (2006)
- I. Romero-Sanz, R. Bocanegra, J. Fernández de la Mora and M. Gamero-Castaño. Source of heavy molecular ions based on Taylor cones of ionic liquids operating in the pure ion evaporation regime, Journal of Applied Physics. 94(5), 3599-3605, 2003.
- D. Saucy, S. Ude, W. Lenggoro and J. Fernandez de la Mora, Mass analysis of water-soluble polymers by mobility measurement of charge-reduced electrosprays, Anal. Chem. 2004, 76,1045-1053.
- I. Romero-Sanz and J. Fernandez de la Mora, Spatial structure and energy distribution of electrosprays of ionic liquids in vacuo, J. Applied Physics, 95 (4): 2123-2129, 2004.
- S. Ude and J. Fernandez de la Mora, B. A. Thomson, Charge-induced unfolding of multiply charged polyethylene glycol ions, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 126, 12184-12190 (2004).
- Sven Ude and Juan Fernandez de la Mora, James N. Alexander IV, Daniel A. Saucy, Aerosol size standards in the nanometer size range: II, Narrow size distributions of polystyrene 3-11 nm in diameter, J. Colloid and Interface Sci., 293, 384–393 (2006).
- J. Fernandez de la Mora, Fluid dynamics of electrosprays, Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics, 39, 217-243 (2007).
- C. Larriba, S. Castro, and J. Fernandez de la Mora, P. Lozano, Monoenergetic source of KiloDalton ions from Taylor cones of ionic liquids, J. Applied Phys. 101 (8): Art. No. 084303 APR 15 2007.
- P. Martinez-Lozano, J. Rus, G. Fernández de la Mora, M. Hernández, J. Fernández de la Mora, Secondary Electrospray Ionization (SESI) of Ambient Vapors for Explosive Detection at Concentrations Below Parts Per Trillion. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectr. 2009, 20, 287–294.
- P. Martinez-Lozano and J. Fernández de la Mora, Direct mass spectrometric analysis of human skin vapors charged by secondary electrospray ionization, J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom, 20, 1060-1063, 2009.
- "Ion mobility separation devices", WO2004/077016, 2004: International Application published under the patent cooperation treaty (PCT)
- "Method and apparatus to increase the resolution and widen the range of differential mobility analyzers (DMAs)", 6,787,763, 2004: With Michael J. Labowsky, J. Schmitt, and W. Neilson
- "Method and apparatus to produce ions and nanodrops from Taylor cones at reduced pressure", 6,768,119, 2004: With M. Gamero
- "Method to produce ions and nanodrops from Taylor cones of volatile liquids at reduced pressures", 6,825,464, 2004
- "Electrospray in the Corona Assisted Cone-Jet Mode: a Process to Generate Fine Particles with Narrow Size Distribution", 5,873,523, 1999: With A. Gomez and K. Tang
- "Method and Apparatus for Separating Ions in a Gas for Mass Spectrometry", 5,936,242, 1999: With T. Eichler and J. Rosell