Website:Soft Matter Lab
- Ph.D., University of Chicago
- B.S., Yale University
Dufresne’s research focuses on understanding, controlling and exploiting the properties of soft materials.
At the macroscale, soft matter exhibits a mixture of fluid and solid properties, while at the microscale its structure and dynamics are dominated by thermal fluctuations. Dufresne’s laboratory manipulates soft materials from the bottom up by altering the interactions of their components and from the top down by applying optical forces.
Current research topics: interfacial forces; self-assembly of colloidal and biological materials; mechanical singularities; mechanics of cells and tissues.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- 2013 Dylan Hixon '88 Prize for Teaching Excellence in the Natural Sciences
- NSF Career Award, 2006, for "Self-assembly and Direct Fabrication of Stimuli-Responsive Colloidal Materials Governed by Proteins."
- 2002 R&D 100 Award for the BioRyx200 system, with David G. Grier and Ward A. Lopes
- R.W. Style, C. Hyland, R. Boltyanskiy, J.S. Wettlaufer, E.R. Dufresne "Surface Tension and Contact with Soft Elastic Solids" DOI10.1038/ncomms3728 Nature Communications
- C.O. Mejean, A. Schaefer, K.B. Buck, H. Kress, A. Shundrovsky, J. W. Merrill, E.R. Dufresne, P. Forscher "Elastic Coupling of Nascent apCAM Adhesions to Flowing Actin Networks" PLOS ONE (2013) doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0073389
- R. W. Style, Y. Che, S. J. Park, B. M. Weon, J. H. Je, C. Hyland, G. K. German, M. Power, L. A. Wilen, J. S. Wettlaufer, E. R. Dufresne "Patterning Droplets with Durotaxis" Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences (2013) http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/06/19/1307122110
- Y. Xu, G. German, A.F. Mertz and E. R. Dufresne "Imaging stress and strain in the fracture of drying colloidal films" Soft Matter 9 3735-3740 (2013) http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2013/SM/C3SM27912J
- R.W. Style , R. Boltyanskiy, Y. Che, J.S. Wettlaufer, L. Wilen, E.R. Dufresne "Universal deformation of soft substrates near a contact line and the direct measurement of solid surface stresses," Physical Review Letters 110, 066103 (2013) http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v110/i6/e066103
- A. F. Mertz, Y. Che, S. Banerjee, J. Goldstein, K. R. Rosowski, C. M. Niessen, M. C. Marchetti, E. R. Dufresne, V. Horsley "Cadherin-Based Intercellular Adhesions Organize Epithelial Cell-Matrix Traction Forces" Proceedings of the National Academy of the Sciences 110 842 (2013) http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2012/12/26/1217279110
- G. K. German, E. Pashkovski, Y. Xu, W. C. Engl, E.R. Dufresne "Heterogeneous drying stresses in stratum corneum revealed using traction force microscopy" Biophysical Journal 102 2424 (2012) http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S000634951200519X
- R. W. Style, E. R. Dufresne "Static wetting on deformable substrates, from liquids to soft solids" Soft Matter 8, 7177-7184 (2012) http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2012/SM/C2SM25540E
- A. F. Mertz, S. Banerjee, Y. Che, G. K. German, C. Hyland, Y. Xu, C. Marchetti, V. A. Horsley, E. R. Dufresne "Scaling of Traction Forces with Size of Cohesive Cell Colonies" Physical Review Letters 108 198101 (2012) http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v108/i19/e198101
- J.D. Forster, J.G. Park, M. Mittal, H. Noh, C. Schreck, C. S. O'Hern, H. Cao, E. M. Furst, E. R. Dufresne "Assembly of optical scale dumbbells into dense photonic crystals", ACS Nano, 5 6695 (2011) http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nn202227f
- "Apparatus and Method for Fabricating, sorting, and Integrating Materials with Holographic Optical Traps", 6,863,406, 2005: With D.G. Grier
- "Apparatus for Using Optical Tweezers to Manipulate Materials", 6,846,084, 2005: With D.G. Grier, J.E. Curtis, and B.A. Koss
- "Apparatus for Manipulating Materials with Visible Light", 6,626,546, 2003: With D.G. Grier, J.E. Curtis, B.A. Koss
- "Apparatus for Using Optical Tweezers to Manipulate Materials", 6,626,546, 2003: With D.G. Grier
- "Method for Applying Optical Gradient Forces and Moving Material", 6,624,940, 2003: With D. G. Grier
- "Apparatus for Using Optical Tweezers to Manipulate Materials", 6,416,190, 2002: With D.G. Grier
- "Apparatus for Applying Optical Gradient Forces", 6,055,106, 2000: With D.G. Grier