Paul Van Tassel
Ph.D., University of Minnesota
Biomolecules at interfaces, nanofilm biomaterials, macromolecular adsorption under electric potential, adsorption in templated porous materials, optical waveguide lightmode spectroscopy, molecular computer simulation, statistical mechanics.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (2011)
- Invited Professor, Université de Cergy-Pontoise, France (2009)
- J. William Fulbright Scholarship, France (2006)
- John J. Lee Associate Professorship of Chemical Engineering (2005)
- Invited Feature Article, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science (2003)
- National Academy of Engineering: Frontiers of Engineering (1999)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1998)
- Interaction modes between asymmetrically and oppositely charged rods, H. Antila, P. R. Van Tassel, and M. Sammalkorpi, Physical Review E, 93, 022602 (2016).
- Ewald electrostatics for mixtures of point and continuous line charges, H. Antila, P. R. Van Tassel, and M. Sammalkorpi, Journal of Physical Chemistry, 119, 13218 (2015).
- Size-selective, non-covalent dispersion of carbon nanotubes by pegylated lipids: a coarse-grained molecular dynamics study, J. Maatta, V. Sampsa, P. R. Van Tassel, and M. Sammalkorpi, Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data, 59, 3080 (2014).
- Nanotemplated polyelectrolyte films: toward a porous biomolecular delivery system, A. Gand, M. Hindie, D. Chacon, P. R. Van Tassel, and E. Pauthe, BioMatter, 4, e28823 (2014).
- Effects of human fibronectin and human serum albumin sequential adsorption on pre-osteoblastic cell adhesion, M. Hindie, E. Camand, R. Agniel, F. Carreiras, P. R. Van Tassel, and E. Pauthe, Biointerphases, 9, 029008 (2014).
- Carbon nanotube bundling: influence on layer-by-layer assembly and antimicrobial activity", S. Aslan, J. Määttä, B. Z. Haznedaroglu, L. D. Pfefferle, M. Elimelech, E. Pauthe, M. Sammalkorpi, and P. R. Van Tassel, Soft Matter, 9, 2136 (2013).
- Porous nanofilm biomaterials via templated layer-by-layer assembly, C. Wu, S. Aslan, A. Gand, J. Wolenski, E. Pauthe, and P. R. Van Tassel, Advanced Functional Materials, 23, 66 (2013).
- Carbon nanotube based antimicrobial biomaterials formed via layer-by-layer assembly with polypeptides, S. Aslan, M. Deneufchatel, S. Hashmi, N. Li, L. D. Pfefferle, M. Elimelech, E. Pauthe, and P. R. Van Tassel, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 388, 268 (2012).
- Polyelectrolyte adsorption and layer-by-layer assembly: electrochemical control, P. R. Van Tassel, Current Opinion in Colloid and Interface Science, 17, 106-113 (2012)
- Nanofilm biomaterials: localized cross-linking to optimize mechanical rigidity and bioactivity, J. A. Phelps, M. Hindie, M.-C. Degat, E. Pauthe, and P. R. Van Tassel, Langmuir, 27, 1123 (2011).
- Pre-osteoblasts on poly(L-lactic acid) and silicon oxide: influence of fibronectin and albumin adsorption, M. Hindie, M.-C. Degat, F. Gaudiere, O. Gallet, P. R. Van Tassel, and E. Pauthe, Acta Biomaterialia, 7, 387 (2011).
- Antimicrobial biomaterials based on carbon nanotubes dispersed in poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid), S. Aslan, C. Zoican Loebick, S. Kang, M. Elimelech, L. D. Pfefferle, and P. R. Van Tassel, Nanoscale, 2, 1789 (2010).
- Biodegradable poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticle assembly for continuous release of bioactive agents from medical devices, C. T. Lo , P. R. Van Tassel, and W. M. Saltzman, Biomaterials, 31, 3631 (2010).
- Influence of charged nanoparticles on colloidal forces: a molecular simulation study, B. Fazelabdolabadi, J. Y. Walz, and P. R. Van Tassel, Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 113, 13860 (2009).
- Simultaneous release of multiple molecules from poly(lactide-co-glycolide) nanoparticles assembled onto medical devices, C. T. Lo, P. R. Van Tassel, and W. M. Saltzman, Biomaterials, 30, 4889 (2009).
- Polyelectrolyte adsorption kinetics under an applied electric potential: strongly versus weakly charged polymers, C. Olsen and P. R. Van Tassel, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 329, 222 (2009).
- Multilayer nanofilms as substrates for hepatocellular applications, C. R. Wittmer, J. A. Phelps, C. M. Lepus, W. M. Saltzman, M. J. Harding, and P. R. Van Tassel, Biomaterials, 29, 4082 (2008).
- Theories of molecular fluids confined in disordered porous materials, L. Sarkisov and P. R. Van Tassel, Journal of Physics Condensed Matter, 20, 333101 (2008).
- Fibronectin terminated multilayer films: protein adsorption and cell attachment studies, C.R. Wittmer, J.A. Phelps, W. Mark Saltzman, Paul Van Tassel, Biomaterials, 28, 851 (2007).
- Integral equation theory of adsorption in templated materials: influence of molecular attraction, L. Sarkisov, Paul Van Tassel, Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 111, 15726 (2007).
- Continuous polyelectrolyte adsorption under an applied electric potential, A. Pascal Ngankam, Paul Van Tassel, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 104, 1140 (2007).