- Ph.D., University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- B.S., University of Virginia
Application of the green chemistry and green engineering principles to innovative design of products, processes, and systems; assessing benign alternative chemicals and materials; policy design and analysis for sustainability, particularly related to water use and corporate environmental behavior; developing water treatment technologies for developing communities.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Finalist, Connecticut Women of Innovation, Research Category, 2013
- Karman Fellow, RWTH-Aachen University, Aachen, Germany, 2013
- Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineering, 2012
- National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers in Engineering Education, 2009
- American Association of Engineering Education, Environmental Engineering Division, Best Paper Award, 2009
- EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, 2007
- EPA Gold Medal for Commendable Service, 2006
- National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers in Engineering, 2005
- EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, 2005
- University of Michigan Distinguished Dissertation Award, 2004
- United States Environmental Protection Agency STAR Fellow, 1999 – 2002
- Yamani, J.; Lounsbury, A. W.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Adsorption of selenite and selenate by nanocrystalline aluminum oxide, neat and impregnated in chitosan beads", Water Research, in press.
- Soh, L.; Montazeri, M.; Haznedaroglu, B. Z.; Kelly, C.; Peccia, J.; Eckelman, M. J.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Evaluating Microalgal Integrated Biorefinery Schemes: Empirical Controlled Growth Studies and Life Cycle Assessment", Bioresource Technology, in press.
- Pasquini, L. M.; Sekol, R. C.; Taylor, A. D.; Pfefferle, L. D.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Realizing Comparable Oxidative and Cytotoxic Potential of Single- and Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes through Annealing", Environmental Science & Technology, 47, 15, 8775-8785, 2013.
- Wang, R.; Eckelman, M.J.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Consequential Environmental and Economic Life Cycle Assessment of Green and Gray Stormwater Infrastructures for Combined Sewer Systems", Environmental Science & Technology, 47, 19, 11189-11198, 2013.
- Yamani, J.S; Zimmerman, J.B. "Enhanced arsenic removal using mixed metal oxide impregnated chitosan beads", Water Research, 46, 14, 4427-4434, 2012.
- Pasquini, L.M.; Hashmi, S.M.; Sommer, T.J.; Elimelech, M.; Zimmerman, J.B. "Impact of Surface Functionalization on Bacterial Cytotoxicity of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes", Environmental Science and Technology, 46, 11, 6297-6305, 2012.
- Voutchkova, A. M.; Kostal, J.; Connors, K.; Brooks, B.; Anastas, P. T.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Towards Rational Molecular Design for Reduced Chronic Aquatic Toxicity", Green Chemistry, 14, 4, 1001-1008, 2012.
- Brentner, L.; Eckelman, M.; Zimmerman, J.B. "Combinatorial life cycle assessment to inform process design of industrial production of algal biodiesel", Environmental Science and Technology, Environmental Science and Technology, 45, 16, 7060-7067, 2011.
- Soh, L.; Zimmerman, J. B. "Biodiesel Production Potential of Algal Lipids Extracted with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide", Journal of Green Chemistry, 13, 6, 1422-1429, 2011.
- Anastas, P. T.; Zimmerman, J. B., "Design through the Twelve Principles of Green Engineering." Environmental Science and Technology, 37 (5): 94A-101A, 2003.