- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- Post-Doc, Johns Hopkins University
Vascular Mechanics and Mechanobiology: developing computational models for understanding vascular disease progression and designing clinical interventions; using genetic, pharmacologic, and surgical models for elucidating mechanisms that underlie diverse vascular conditions; and using tissue engineered constructs to test hypotheses of mechanosensing and mechanoregulation of extracellular matrix.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- H.R. Lissner Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, Georgia Tech
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Bioengineering Division)
- Regents Professor, Texas A&M University System
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- First Award, National Institutes of Health
- Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation
- YC Fung Young Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineering
- Young Scientist Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- Wilson JS, Baek S, Humphrey JD (2012) Importance of initial aortic properties on the evolving regional anisotropy, stiffness, and wall thickness of human abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Royal Society Interface 9: 2047-2058.
- Simon DD, Horgan CO, Humphrey JD (2012) Mechanical restrictions on biological responses by adherent cells within collagen gels. J Mechanical Behavior Biomedical Materials 14: 216-226.
- Xiao N, Humphrey JD, Figueroa CA (2013) Multiscale computational model of three-dimensional hemodynamics within a deformable full-body arterial network. J Computational Physics 244: 22-40.
- Ferruzzi J, Bersi MR, Humphrey JD (2013) Biomechanical phenotyping of central arteries in health and disease: Advantages of and methods for murine models. Annals Biomedical Engineering 41: 1311-1130.
- Roccabianca S, Ateshian G, Humphrey JD (2014) Biomechanical roles of medial pooling of glycosaminoglycans in thoracic aortic dissection. Biomechanics Modeling Mechanobiology (ePub ahead of press).
- Program Chair, 2014 World Congress of Biomechanics
- Co-Editor in Chief, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology (2001-2011)
- Member, Modeling and Analysis of Biological Systems (MABS) Study Section, NIH
- Member, World Council of Biomechanics
- Chair, US National Committee of Biomechanics
- Humphrey JD. Cardiovascular Solid Mechanics: Cells, Tissues, and Organs. Springer-Verlag, NY, 2002.
- Cowin SC and Humphrey JD (editors). Cardiovascular Soft Tissue Mechanics, Kluwer, Netherlands, 2002.
- Humphrey JD and Delange SL. An Introduction to Biomechanics: Solids and Fluids, Analysis and Design. Springer Verlag, NY, 2004.
- Humphrey JD and Holmes JW. Style and Ethics of Communication in Science and Engineering. Morgan & Claypool, CO, 2009.