- Ph.D., Georgia Institute of Technology
- Post-Doc, Johns Hopkins University
Vascular Mechanics and Mechanobiology: using genetic, pharmacologic, and surgical models to elucidate mechanisms that underlie diverse vascular diseases; developing theoretical frameworks for understanding vascular disease progression and designing clinical interventions; and using computational models to design and evaluate tissue engineered vascular grafts based on concepts of mechanobiology and immunobiology.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- H.R. Lissner Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Academy of Distinguished Engineering Alumni, Georgia Tech
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (Bioengineering Division)
- Regents Professor, Texas A&M University System
- Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering
- First Award, National Institutes of Health
- Presidential Young Investigator Award, National Science Foundation
- YC Fung Young Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineering
- Young Scientist Award, American Society of Biomechanics
- Roccabianca S, Ateshian G, Humphrey JD (2014) Biomechanical roles of medial pooling of glycosaminoglycans in thoracic aortic dissection. Biomech Model Mechanobiol 13: 13-25.
- Humphrey JD, Milewicz DM, Tellides G, Schwartz MA (2014) Dysfunctional mechanosensing in aneurysms. Science 344: 477-479.
- Cyron C, Humphrey JD (2014) Vascular homeostasis and the concept of mechanobiological stability. Int J Engr Sci 85: 203-223.
- Humphrey JD, Dufrense E, Schwartz MA (2014) Mechanotransduction and extracellular matrix homeostasis. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 15: 802-812.
- Miller KS, Khosravi R, Breuer CK, Humphrey JD (2015) A hypothesis-driven parametric study of the effects of polymeric scaffold properties on tissue engineered neovessel formation. Acta Biomater 11: 283-294.
- Bellini C, Wang S, Milewicz DM, Humphrey JD (2015) Myh11R247C/R247C mutations increase thoracic aortic vulnerability to intramural damage despite a general biomechanical adaptivity. J Biomech 48: 113-121.
- Bersi MR, Bellini C, Wu J, Harrison DG, Humphrey JD (2016) Excessive adventitial remodeling leads to early aortic maladaptation in angiotensin-induced hypertension. Hypertension 67: 890-896.
- Humphrey JD, Harrison DG, Figueroa CA, Lacolley P, Laurent S (2016) Central artery stiffness in hypertension and aging: A problem with cause and consequence. Circ Res 118: 379-381.
- Chair, US National Committee of Biomechanics (2014-2016)
- Program Chair, 2014 World Congress of Biomechanics
- Member, World Council of Biomechanics (2006-2018)
- Co-Editor in Chief, Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology (2001-2011)
- Humphrey JD. Cardiovascular Solid Mechanics: Cells, Tissues, and Organs. Springer-Verlag, NY, 2002.
- Cowin SC and Humphrey JD (editors). Cardiovascular Soft Tissue Mechanics, Kluwer, Netherlands, 2002.
- Humphrey JD and O'Rourke SL. An Introduction to Biomechanics: Solids and Fluids, Analysis and Design. 2nd Edition. Springer, NY, 2015 (1st Edition, 2004).
- Humphrey JD and Holmes JW. Style and Ethics of Communication in Science and Engineering. Morgan & Claypool, CO, 2009.