Corey S. O'Hern
Website:O'Hern Research Group
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania
Statistical mechanics of nonequilibrium systems such as glasses and granular materials; elasticity theories for soft materials, e.g. liquid crystals and biological materials; structural, mechanical, and dynamical properties of proteins including folding, unfolding, and aggregation.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Faculty Early Career Development Award from the National Science Foundation (2005)
- Cyber-Enabled Discover and Innovation Award from the National Science Foundation (2008)
- Calculations of the basin volumes for mechanically stable packings, S. S. Ashwin, J. Blawzdziewicz, C. S. O'Hern, and M. D. Shattuck, Phys. Rev. E 85 (2012) 061307.
- The power of hard-sphere models: Explaining side-chain dihedral angle distributions of Thr and Val, A. Q. Zhou, C. S. O'Hern, and L. Regan, Biophys. J. 102 (2012) 2345.
- The contact percolation transition, T. Shen, C. S. O'Hern, and M. D. Shattuck, Phys. Rev. E 85 (2012) 011308.
- Topology of force networks in compressed granular media, L. Kondic, A. Goullet, C. S. O'Hern, M. Kramar, K. Mischaikow, and R. P. Behringer, Europhys. Lett. 97 (2012) 54001.
- Glassy dynamics of crystallite formation: The role of covalent bonds, R. S. Hoy and C. S. O'Hern, Soft Matter 8 (2012) 1215.
- The conformational ensembles of α-synuclein and τ: Combining single-molecule FRET and simulations, A. Nath, M. Sammalkorpi, D. C. DeWitt, A. J. Trexler, S. Elbaum-Garfinkle, C. S. O'Hern, and E. Rhoades, Biophys. J. 103 (2012) 1940.
- Revisiting the Ramachandran plot from a new angle, A. Q. Zhou, C. S. O'Hern, and L. Regan, Protein Science 20 (2011) 1166.
- Repulsive contact interactions make jammed particulate systems inherently nonharmonic, C. F. Schreck, T. Bertrand, C. S. O'Hern, and M. D. Shattuck, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107 (2011) 078301.
- Jamming in systems composed of ellipse-shaped particles, M. Mailman, C. F. Schreck, B. Chakraborty, and C. S. O'Hern, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 255501.
- A percolation model for glassy dynamics in disordered materials, G. Lois, J. Blawzdziewicz, and C. S. O'Hern,Phys. Rev. Lett. 102 (2009) 015702.
- Non-random-coil behavior as a consequence of extensive PPII structure in the denatured state, A. L. Cortajarena, G. Lois, E. Sherman, C. S. O'Hern, L. Regan, and G. Haran, J. Mol. Biol. 382 (2008) 203.
- Reliable protein folding on non-funneled energy landscapes: The free energy reaction path, G. Lois, J. Blawzdziewicz, and C. S. O'Hern, Biophys. J. 95 (2008) 2692.
- Jamming transition and new percolation universality classes in particulate systems with attraction, Gregg P Lois, Jerzy Blawzdziewicz, Corey S O'Hern, 2008, Phys. Rev. Lett., 100, 028001.
- Entropy and Temperature of a Static Granular Assembly: An Ab Initio Approach, S. Henkes, Corey S O'Hern, B. Chakraborty, 2007, Phys. Rev. Lett., 99, 038002.
- Frequency distribution of mechanically stable disk packings, G.-J. Gao, Jerzy Blawzdziewicz, Corey S O'Hern, 2006, Phys. Rev. E, 74, 061304.
- Stabilization of nonlinear velocity profiles in athermal systems undergoing planar shear flow, N. Xu, Corey S O'Hern, L. Kondic, 2005, Phys. Rev. E, 72, 041504.
- Random close packing revisited: Ways to pack frictionless disks, N. Xu, Corey S O'Hern, Blawzdziewicz, Jerzy, 2005, Phys. Rev. E, 71, 061306.
- Effective Temperature in Athermal Systems Sheared at Fixed Normal Load, N. Xu, Corey S O'Hern, 2005, Phys. Rev. Lett., 94, 055701.
- Velocity Profiles in Repulsive Athermal Systems under Shear, N. Xu, Corey S O'Hern, L. Kondic, 2005, Phys. Rev. Lett., 94, 016001.
- Effective Temperatures in Driven Systems Static vs. Time-dependent Relations, Corey S O'Hern, A.J. Liu, S.R. Nagel, 2004, Phys. Rev. Lett., 93, 165702.
- Vice-Chair for the American Physical Society Topical Group on Statistical and Nonlinear Physics (2009)
- Director of Undergraduate Programs, Raymond and Beverly Sackler Institute for Biological, Physical, and Engineering Sciences