- Ph.D., University of Connecticut at Storrs
- N.E., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.S., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.S.C.E.P., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- M.S., Management Science & Engineering, Stanford University
Environmental risk assessment; air pollution control technologies; green energy systems; aerosol transport phenomena; phase equilibria in nonideal mixtures; transport phenomena; chemical process design and optimization; security and vulnerability assessment of nuclear installations; nuclear risk assessment; and thermal hydraulics of severe nuclear accidents.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Faculty research grant sponsored by the Yale Center for Business and the Environment and the F.K. Weyerhaeuser Memorial Fund (2003)
- The American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) award for significant contribution and dedicated leadership as Yale University AIChE Student Chapter Advisor.
- The Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation international award for technical excellence, Tbilisi, Georgia.
- Award presented by the International Energy Agency (IEA), Essen, Germany (2010)
- Award presented by the Chinese Nuclear Society (CNS), Brussels, Belgium (2009)
- Award presented by the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME) (2003)
- Award presented by the Société Française D'Énergie Nucléaire, Nice, France (2001)
- Award presented by ABB Combustion Engineering (1995)
- Award presented by the American Nuclear Society (1993)
- Award presented by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (2004)
- MIT Research Scholarship, Plasma Fusion Center (1982-1984)
- Bethlehem Steel Guest Fellowship (1984)
- General Electric (GE) Fellowship (1985)
- MIT Fellow, Advanced Engineering Studies (1980-1982)
- Khalil, Y. F. (2014). Dust cloud combustion characterization of a mixture of LiBH4 destabilized with MgH2 for reversible H2 storage in mobile applications. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 39, 16347-16361.
- Boo, C., Khalil, Y. F., and Elimelech, M. (2014). Performance Evaluation of Trimethylamine - Carbon Dioxide Thermolytic Draw Solution for Engineered Osmosis. Paper accepted for publication in the Journal of Membrane Science.
- Khalil, Y. F. (2013). Experimental determination of dust cloud deflagration parameters of selected hydrogen storage materials: Complex metal hydrides, chemical hydrides, and adsorbents. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 26 (1), 96–103.
- Khalil, Y. F., et al. (2013). Experimental and theoretical investigations for mitigating NaAlH4 reactivity risks during postulated accident scenarios involving exposure to air or water. Journal of Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 91 (6), 463-475.
- Khalil, Y. F. (2013). Experimental investigation of the complex deflagration phenomena of hybrid mixtures of activated carbon dust/hydrogen/air. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 26 (6), 1027-1038.
- Khalil, Y. F. (2011). Reciprocity of safety insights between risk analysis and codes and standards of vehicular hydrogen storage. Proceedings of Risk Management, American Nuclear Society (ANS) publisher, La Grange Park, IL, 277-283.
- Khalil, Y. F. (2009). "Risk assessment and safety analysis for nuclear power reactors," Chapter 16, In: Nuclear Engineering Handbook, CRC Press, Taylor & Frances Group, ISBN/ISSN 1420053906.
- Khalil, Y. F. (2003). Quantitative assessment of human-induced loss of offsite power (HI-LOOP) event frequencies at U.S. commercial nuclear power plants (NPPs). Proceedings of the Intentional Topical Meeting on Probabilistic Safety Assessment, American Nuclear Society, LaGrange Park, IL.
- Khalil, Y. F. & Anoba, R. (2002). Modeling characteristics of an operational probabilistic safety assessment (PSA). Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering.
- Rosner, D. E. & Khalil, Y. F. (2000). Particle morphology and Knudsen transition effects on the thermophoretically dominated total mass deposition rates from coagulation aged aerosol population. J. Aerosol Science, 31(3), 273-292.
- Rosner, D. E. & Khalil, Y. F. (1997, November 16-20). Effects of fractal aggregates morphology on nuclear aerosol deposition rates. Proceedings of the 12th Nuclear Thermal Hydraulics Conference, Sponsored by the Thermal Hydraulics Division of the American Nuclear Society, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Khalil, Y. F. & Rosner, D. E. (1996). Erosion rate prediction technique for ceramic surfaces exposed to high speed flows of abrasive suspensions. Wear Journal, 201, 64-79.
- US 20100212920A1
- Current Chairman and Operating Agent of the Hydrogen Safety Task of the International Energy Agency (IEA), Hydrogen Implementation Agreement (HIA).
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers - Yale Chapter
- Chemical Engineering Process Design Class - Spring 2005
- PSA '02 TPC Roster
- PSA '99 International Topical Meeting on Probabilistic Safety Assessment