Ph.D., Yale University
Ma's research group revolves around the scientific and technological issues related to semiconductor devices, especially those involving science and engineering of CMOS (Complimentary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor) technology for logic and memory applications. It overlaps a number of areas in materials synthesis, device physics, device engineering, and integrated circuits. Professor Ma and most of his graduate students and research staff members collaborate closely with a number of universities and major semiconductor companies in the United States and abroad.
Prof. Ma's current research projects:
- Advanced Gate Dielectrics for Beyond-Si Transistors
- Versatile Ferroelectric Memory Technology for DRAM and Nonvolatile Applications
- Unipolar CMOS Technology for High-mobility Semiconductors and Thin-film Transistors, Including Emerging 2-D Channels
- Field-Effect Devices Based on InGaAs, GaN, Ge, SiGe, and Emerging 2-D Channels
- Inelastic Electron Tunneling Spectroscopy (IETS) of Ultra-Thin Dielectrics
- Ionizing Radiation Effects in Emerging CMOS and 2-D Transistors
Selected Awards & Honors:
- YSEA (Yale Science and Engineering Association) Award for Advancement of Basic and Applied Science (2015)
- National Taiwan University Outstanding Alumnus Award (2014)
- Elected to 3 National Academies:
• U.S. National Academy of Engineering (NAE) (2003)
• Chinese Academy of Science as a Foreign Member（中科院外籍院士） (2009)
• Academia Sinica of Taiwan, ROC (臺灣中央研究院院士)（2012)
- Connecticut Medal of Technology (2008)
- SIA University Researcher's Award (2006)
- IEEE Andrew S. Grove Award (2005)
- Pan Wen-Yuan Award (2005)
- B.F. Goodrich National Collegiate Inventor's Advisor Award (1998)
- Paul Rappaport Award, IEEE Electron Device Society (1998)
- B.F. Goodrich National Collegiate Inventor's Advisor Award (1993)
- Connecticut Yankee Ingenuity Award (1991)
- Harding Bliss Prize, Yale University (1975)
- Life Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Honorary Professor of Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Honorary Professor of Tianjin University
- Honorary Professor of Tsinghua University
- Honorary Professor of National Chiao Tung University
- Honorary Guest Professor of Peking University
- Advisory Professor of Fudan University
- Life member of American Physical Society
- Electrical Characterization of Nanoscale Transistors —with an Emphasis on Traps Associated with the MOS Gate Stacks, book chapter for "Characterization and Metrology for Nanoelectronics and Nanostructures", edited by Zhiyong Ma and Dave Seller, June 2015.
- AC transconductance: A novel method to characterize oxide traps in advanced FETs without a body contact, IEDM Technical Digest, pp 19.4.1-19.4.4, Dec.10-13 (2012)
- Unipolar CMOS Logic for Post-Si ULSI and TFT Technologies, ECS Trans. 37(1), pp. 207-215 (2011)
- Retention mechanism study of the ferroelectric field effect transistor, Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 013505 (2011).
- Inelastic Electron Tunneling Spectroscopy (IETS) Study of Ultra-Thin Gate Dielectrics for Advanced CMOS Technology. ECS Trans. 35 (4), 545 (2011)
- Making Silicon Nitride Film a Viable Gate Dielectric, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, 45, 680, (1998).
- Ionizing Radiation Effects in MOS Devices & Circuits, (John Wiley & Sons), 1989.
- "A Ferroelectric Dynamic Random Access Memory", 6,067,244, 2000: With Jin-Ping Han.
- "Isotopically Enriched Semiconductor Devices", 5442,191, 1995.
- "Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor Devices", U.S. Patent No. 8,384,156, Feb. 26, 2013: With Larry Minjoo Lee, and Xiao Sun
- "Unipolar CMOS Circuits with a Novel Bootstrapping Circuit Block", Provisional Patent, 2014: With Xiao Sun
- "Circuitry for Ferroelectric FET-based Dynamic Random Access Memory and Non-volatile Memory", Provisional Patent, 2014: With Xiao Sun
- "Three Dimensional Structures of Ferroelectric FET Memory Arrays, and Their Operation and Fabrication Methods", Provisional Patent, 2014: With Xiao Sun
Selected Plenary/Keynote Speeches:
- T.P. Ma and Xiao Sun, "Unipolar CMOS Logic for Post-Si ULSI and TFT Technologies", Keynote speech, 2011 International Conference on Semiconductor Technology for Ultra Large Scale Integrated Circuits and Thin Film Transistors (ULSIC vs. TFT), Hong Kong, China, June 27-29, (2011)
- T.P. Ma, "Opportunities and Challenges of CMOS Technologies Based on High Mobility Channels" Plenary Speech, delivered at the International Workshop on Nanodevice Technologies (IWNT 2013), Hiroshima, Japan, March 5-6, (2013)
- T.P. Ma, "Beyond-Si CMOS Technologies Based on High-Mobility Channels", Plenary Speech delivered at the IEEE Device Research Conference, South Bend Indiana, June 23-26 (2013)
- T.P. Ma, "Beyond-Si CMOS Technologies Based on High-Mobility Channels" Plenary Speech delivered at the 4th International Conference on Semiconductor Technology for Ultra Large Scale Integrated Circuits and Thin Film Transistors, Grenoble, France, July 8-11, (2013)
- T.P. Ma, "Novel Electrical Characterization Techniques for Reliability Study of Advanced CMOS Gate Dielectrics", Plenary Speech, delivered at the 21st International Symposium on the Physical and Failure Analysis of Integrated Circuits (IPFA), Suzhou, China, July 17-19 (2013)
- T.P. Ma," Beyond-Si CMOS Technologies Based on High-Mobility Channels" Keynote Speech delivered at the International Electron Devices and Materials Symposium (IEDMS 2013), Nantou, Taiwan, Nov. 28-29 (2013)
- T.P. Ma, "FEDRAM: A Capacitor-less DRAM Based on Ferroelectric-Gated Field-Effect Transistor", Keynote Speech, 2014 IEEE International Memory Workshop (IMW), Taipei, Taiwan, May 18-21 (2014).
- T.P. Ma, "Opportunities and Challenges of Beyond-Si CMOS Technologies Based on High Mobility Channels," Keynote Speech at 2014 IEEE International Conference on Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC 2014), Chengdu, China ,June 18-20, (2014)
- Co-Director of the Yale Center for Microelectronic Materials and Structures
- Co-Director of the Yale-Peking Joint Center for Microelectronics and Nanotechnology
- Member, International Affairs Advisory Group