Professor of Geology & Geophysics & Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Room / Office: KGL 319
210 Whitney AvenueNew Haven, CT 06511
P.O. Box 208109New Haven, CT 06520
Phone: (203) 432-3147
Ph.D., University of Tokyo
Mineral physics and chemistry. High-pressure, temperature experimental studies, and their applications to geophysical and geological problems.
- Karato, S., Bercovici, D., Leahy, G., Richard, G. and Jing, Z., 2006. Transition zone water-filter model for global material circulation: Where do we stand?, In "Earth's Deep Water Circulation", AGU Monograph, 289-313.
- Wang, D., Mookherjee, M., Xu, Y. and Karato, S., 2006. The effect of water on the electrical conductivity in olivine, Nature, 443: 977-980.
- Karato, S., 2006. Influence of hydrogen-related defects on electrical conductivity and plastic deformation of mantle minerals: A critical review, In "Earth's Deep Water Circulation", AGU Monograph, 113-129.
- Katayama, I. and Karato, S., 2006. Effect of temperature on the B- to C-type fabric transition in olivine, Phys. Earth Planet. Inter., 157: 33-45.
- Matsukage, K.N., Jing, Z. and Karato, S., 2005. Density of hydrous silicate melt at the conditions of the Earth's deep upper mantle, Nature, 438: 488-491.