Mark A. Reed
Ph.D., Syracuse University
Investigation of electronic transport in nanoscale and mesoscopic systems, artificially structured materials and devices, molecular scale electronic transport, plasmonic transport in nanostructures, and chem/bio nanosensors.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- Fellow, IEEE (2009)
- IEEE Pioneer Award in Nanotechnology (2007)
- Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (2006)
- Fellow, American Physical Society (2003)
- YSEA Award for Advancement of Basic and Applied Science (2002)
- Fujitsu ISCS Quantum Device Award (2001)
- Syracuse University Distinguished Alumni Award (2000)
- Harold Hodgkinson Professor of Engineering and Applied Science, Yale University (1999)
- DARPA ULTRA Most Significant Technical Achievement Award (1997)
- Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (1996-present)
- Who's Who in the World (2000-present); in America (2000-present); in American Science and Engineering (1995-present)
- Kilby Young Innovator Award (1994)
- Senior Member IEEE
- Fortune Magazine's 12 most promising young scientists (1990)
- Senior Member Technical Staff, TI (1988).
- M. A. Reed, J. N. Randall, R. J. Aggarwal, R. J. Matyi, T. M. Moore, and A. E. Wetsel, “Observation of discrete electronic states in a zero-dimensional semiconductor nanostructure”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 60, 535 (1988). (ISI citations (3/09): 579).
- M. A. Reed, W. R. Frensley, R. J. Matyi, J. N. Randall, and A. C. Seabaugh, “Realization of a Three-Terminal Resonant Tunneling Device : The Bipolar Quantum Resonant Tunneling Transistor,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 54, 1034 (1989).
- M.R. Deshpande, J.W. Sleight, M.A. Reed, R.G. Wheeler, and R.J. Matyi,“Spin splitting of single 0D impurity states in semiconductor heterostructure quantum wells”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 1328 (1996).
- M.A. Reed, C. Zhou, C.J. Muller, T.P. Burgin, and J.M. Tour, “Conductance of a molecular junction”, Science 278, 252 (1997). (ISI citations (3/09): 1577).
- J. Chen, M. A. Reed, A. M. Rawlett, and J. M. Tour, “Large On-Off Ratios and Negative Differential Resistance in an Electronic Molecular Switch”, Science, 286, 1550 (1999). (ISI citations (3/09): 1293).
- M. A. Reed, J. Chen, A. M. Rawlett, D. W. Price, and J. M. Tour, “Molecular Random Access Memory Cell”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, 3735 (2001).
- Wenyong Wang, Takhee Lee, and M. A. Reed, “Mechanism of Electron Conduction In Self-Assembled Alkanethiol Monolayer Devices”, Phys. Rev. B 68, 035416 (2003).
- W. Wang, T. Lee, I. Kretzschmar, and M.A. Reed, “Inelastic Electron Tunneling Spectroscopy of Alkanedithiol Self-Assembled Monolayers”, Nano Lett. 4, 643 (2004).
- W. Wang, T. Lee, and M.A. Reed, “Elastic and Inelastic Electron Tunneling in Alkane Self-Assembled Monolayers”, J. Phys. Chem. B. 108, 18398 (2004). (cover, feature article).
- E. Stern, J.F. Klemic, D.A. Routenberg, P.N. Wyrembak, D.B. Turner-Evans, A.D. Hamilton, D.A. LaVan, T.M. Fahmy, and M.A. Reed, “Label-free immunodetection with CMOS-compatible semiconducting nanowires”,Nature, 445, 519 (2007).
- M. A. Reed, H. Song, et al, “Observation of molecular orbital gating”, Nature 462, 1039 (2009).
- M. A. Reed, E. Stern et al, “Label-free biomarker detection from whole blood”, Nature Nanotech 5, 138-142 (2010).
- "Mechanically Controllable Break (MCB) Transducer", 5751156, 1998: With Christian Muller and Chong Wu Zhou
- "Method for forming a film by selective area MOCVD growth", US05728215, 1998
- "Sub-Nanoscale Electronic Systems and Devices", US05589692, 1996
- "Sub-nanoscale electronic systems and devices", US05475341, 1995
- "Optically pumped quantum coupled devices", US05165065, 1992
- "Three terminal tunneling device and method", US05059545, 1991
- "Quantum-well logic using self-generated potentials", US04969018, 1990
- "Three terminal tunneling device and method", US04959696, 1990
- "Three-terminal quantum device", US04912531, 1990
- "Binary superlattice tunneling device and method", US04851886, 1989
- "Optically pumped quantum coupled devices", US04878104, 1989
- "Quantum device output switch", US04799091, 1989
- "Quantum-coupled device", EP00170044B1, 1989
- "Process for fabricating quantum-well devices", US04783427, 1988
- "Spatial light modulator", US04705361, 1987
- "Process for fabricating quantum-well devices utilizing etch and refill techniques", US04575924, 1986
- "Quantum device output switch", US04581621, 1986