Gary L. Haller
Ph.D., Northwestern University
Heterogeneous catalysis and surface chemistry; spectroscopic characterization of surfaces using Raman, infrared absorption, X-ray absorption spectroscopies, and solid state NMR; classical kinetics; chemisorption and physical adsorption to study structured catalysts and catalyst supports (MCM-41 and SBA-15 silica; microporous, multi- and single-walled carbon nanotubes, very small metal cluster catalysts, and catalytic synthesis of single-wall carbon nanotubes. A general philosophy and outline of previous research can be found in a recent review of “New catalytic concepts…”
- Pt-Co Bimetallic Catalyst Supported on Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes: Effect of Alloy Formation and Oxygen Containing Groups. Wang, Xiaoming; Li, Nan; Pfefferle, Lisa D.; Haller, Gary L.. Journal of Physical Chemistry C ACS ASAP.
- Synthesis, Characterization, and Catalytic Performance of Highly Dispersed Co-SBA-15. Wang, Chuan; Lim, Sangyun; Du, Guoan; Zoican Loebicki, Codruta; Li, Nan; Derrouiche, Salim; Haller, Gary L. Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2009), 113(33), 14863-14871.
- High-Yield Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Synthesized on the Small-Pore (C10) Co-MCM-41 Catalyst. Lim, Sangyun; Li, Nan; Fang, Fang; Pinault, Mathieu; Zoican, Codruta; Wang, Chuan; Fadel, Tarek; Pfefferle, Lisa D.; Haller, Gary L. Journal of Physical Chemistry C (2008), 112(32), 12442-12454.
- Synthesis, characterization, and catalytic performance of highly dispersed vanadium grafted SBA-15 catalyst. Du, Guoan; Lim, Sangyun; Pinault, Mathieu; Wang, Chuan; Fang, Fang; Pfefferle, Lisa; Haller, Gary L.. Journal of Catalysis (2008), 253(1), 74-90.
- Catalytic performance of vanadium incorporated MCM-41 catalysts for the partial oxidation of methane to formaldehyde. Du, Guoan; Lim, Sangyun; Yang, Yanhui; Wang, Chuan; Pfefferle, Lisa; Haller, Gary L.. Applied Catalysis, A: General (2006), 302(1), 48-61.
- Radius of curvature effect of V-MCM-41 probed by methanol oxidation. Yang, Yanhui; Du, Guoan; Lim, Sangyun; Haller, Gary L.. Journal of Catalysis (2005), 234(2), 318-327.
- "Growth of Nanostructures with Controlled Diameter," US patent 7,485,279 B2, Feb. 3, 2009.
- "Controlled Growth of Single-wall Carbon Nanotubes," US patent 7,357,983 B2, Apr. 15, 2008.