Gary L. Haller
Ph.D., Northwestern University
Heterogeneous catalysis and surface chemistry; spectroscopic characterization of surfaces using Raman, infrared absorption, X-ray absorption spectroscopies, and solid state NMR; classical kinetics; chemisorption and physical adsorption to study structured catalysts and catalyst supports (MCM-41 and SBA-15 silica; microporous, multi- and single-walled carbon nanotubes, very small metal cluster catalysts, and catalytic synthesis of single-wall carbon nanotubes. A general philosophy and outline of previous research can be found in a recent review of “New catalytic concepts…”
- Liu, Changchang; Bolin, Trudy; Northup, Paul; Lee, Sungchul; McEnally, Charles; Kelleher, Patrick; Pfefferle, Lisa; Haller, Gary L.; Combined Zr and S XANES Analysis on S-ZrO2/MWCNT Solid Acid Catalyst, Topics in Catal. (2014) 57, 693-705.
- Ren, Fang; Kanaan, Stacy A.; Majewska, Magdalena M.; Keskar, Gayatri D.; Azoz, Seyla; Wang, Xiaoming; Haller, Gary L.; Chen, Yuan; Pfefferle, Lisa D.; Increase in the yield of (and selective synthesis of large-diameter) single-walled carbon nanotubes through water-assisted ethanol pyrolysis, J. Catal. (2014) 309, 419-427.
- Liu, Changchang; Pfefferle, Lisa D.; Haller, Gary L.; The Electronic Structure or Charge Delocalization of Sulfated Zirconia (Supported on Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes): Acid Sites Probed by X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy, Topics in Catal. (2014) 57, 774-784.
- Sun, Xianyong; Mueller, Sebastian; Shi, Hui; Haller, Gary L; Sanchez-Sanchez, Maricruz; van Veen, Andre C.; Lercher, Johannes A.; On the impact of co-feeding aromatics and olefins for the methanol-to-olefins reaction on HZSM-5, J. Catal. (2014) 314, 21-31.
- Schuessler, Forian; Schallmoser, Stefan; Shi, Hui; Haller, Gary L.; Ember, Erika; Lercher, Johannes A.; Enhancement of Dehrogenation and Hydride Transfer by La3+ Cations in Zeolites during Acid Catalyzed Alkane Reactions, ACS Catalysis (2014) 4, 1743-1752.
- Zhang, Zhiteng; Pfefferle, Lisa; Haller, Gary L.; Comparing characterization of functionalized multi-walled carbon nanotubes by potentiometric proton titration, NEXAFS, and XPS, Chin. J. Catal. (2014) 35, 856-863.
- "Growth of Nanostructures with Controlled Diameter," US patent 7,485,279 B2, Feb. 3, 2009.
- "Controlled Growth of Single-wall Carbon Nanotubes," US patent 7,357,983 B2, Apr. 15, 2008.
- Visiting Fellow, Institute for Advanced Study, Technical University of Munich
- Director, Henry Koerner Center for Emeritus Faculty, Yale University