Website:Xia Research Group
Barton L. Weller Assistant Professor in Engineering and Science
Room / Office: Becton 519
15 Prospect StreetNew Haven, CT 06511
P.O. Box 208284New Haven, CT 06520
Phone: (203) 432-7271
- Ph.D., Princeton University
- B.S., Tsinghua University, China
Light-matter interaction and photonic devices; carrier transport and electronic devices; device applications in imaging, communications, and electronics; integration of emerging and traditional materials.
Selected Awards & Honors:
- 2015: Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Award
- 2014: IBM Pat Goldberg Memorial Best Paper Award
- 2012: IBM Research Division Award
- 2012: IBM Corporate Award
- 2011: MIT Technology Review TR35 Award
- 2009: IBM Research Division Award
- 2008: IBM Research Division Award
- 1998: Graduation with Highest Honor, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- X. Ling, H. Wang, S. Huang, F. Xia, and M. S. Dresselhaus, "The renaissance of black phosphorus," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112, 4523-4530 (2015).
- X. Wang, A. M. Jones, K. L. Seyler, V. Tran, Y. Jia, H. Zhao, H. Wang, L. Yang, X. Xu, and F. Xia, "Highly anisotropic and robust excitons in monolayer black phosphorus," Nature Nanotechnology 10, 517–521 (2015).
- X. Liu, T. Galfsky, Z. Sun, F. Xia, E. Lin, Y.-H. Lee, S. Kéna-Cohen, and V. Menon, "Strong light–matter coupling in two-dimensional atomic crystals," Nature Photonics 9, 30-34 (2015).
- F. Xia, H. Wang, D. Xiao, M. Dubey, and A. Ramasubramaniam, "Two-dimensional material nanophotonics, " Nature Photonics 8, 899-907 (2014).
- H. Wang, X. Wang, F. Xia, L. Wang, H. Jiang, Q. Xia, M. L. Chin, M. Dubey, and S.-J. Han, "Black phosphorus radio-frequency transistors," Nano Letters 14, 6424–6429 (2014).
- T. Low, R. Roldan, H. Wang, F. Xia, P. Avouris, L. Moreno, and F. Guinea, "Plasmons and screening in monolayer and multilayer black phosphorus," Physical Review Letters 113, 106802 (2014).
- F. Xia, H. Wang, and Y. Jia, "Rediscovering black phosphorus as an anisotropic layered material for optoelectronics and electronics," Nature Communications 5, 4458 (2014).
- W. Zhu, T. Low, Y.-H. Lee, H. Wang, D. Farmer, J. Kong, F. Xia, and P. Avouris, "Electronic transport and device prospects of monolayer molybdenum disulphide grown by chemical vapor deposition," Nature Communications 5, 3087 (2014).
- M. Freitag, T. Low, W. Zhu, H. Yan, F. Xia, and P. Avouris, "Photocurrent in graphene harnessed by tunable intrinsic plasmons," Nature Communications 4, 1951 (2013).
- H. Yan, T. Low, W. Zhu, Y. Wu, M. Freitag, X. Li, F. Guinea, P. Avouris, and F. Xia, "Damping pathways of mid-infrared plasmons in graphene nanostructures," Nature Photonics 7, 394-399 (2013).
- M. Freitag, T. Low, F. Xia, and P. Avouris, "Photoconductivity of biased graphene," Nature Photonics 7, 53-59 (2013).
- F. Xia, H. Yan, and P. Avouris, "The interaction of light and graphene: basics, devices, and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE 101, 1717-1731 (2013). (Invited)
- Y. Wu, D. Farmer, F. Xia, and P. Avouris, "Graphene electronics: materials, devices, and circuits," Proceedings of the IEEE 101, 1620-1637 (2013). (Invited)
- P. Avouris and F. Xia, "Graphene applications in electronics and photonics," MRS Bulletin 37, 1225-1234 (2012). (Invited)
- H. Yan, X. Li, B. Chandra, G. Tulevski, Y. Wu, M. Freitag, W. Zhu, P. Avouris, and F. Xia, "Tunable infrared plasmonic devices using graphene/insulator stacks," Nature Nanotechnology 7, 330-334 (2012).
- F. Xia, V. Perebeinos, Y. Lin, Y. Wu, and P. Avouris, "The origins and limits of metal-graphene junction resistance," Nature Nanotechnology 6, 179-184 (2011).
- Y. Wu, Y. Lin, A. Bol, K. Jenkins, F. Xia, D, Farmer, Y. Zhu, and P. Avouris, "High-frequency, scaled graphene transistors on diamond-like carbon," Nature 472, 74-78 (2011).
- T. Mueller, F. Xia, and P. Avouris, "Graphene photodetectors for high-speed optical communications," Nature Photonics 4, 297-301 (2010).
- S. Assefa, F. Xia, and Y. Vlasov, "Reinventing Germanium avalanche photodetector for on-chip optical interconnects," Nature 464, 80-84 (2010).
- F. Xia, D. Farmer, Y. Lin, and P. Avouris, "Graphene field-effect-transistors with high on/off current ratio and large transport bandgap at room temperature," Nano Letters 10, 715-718 (2010).
- F. Xia, T. Muller, Y. Lin, A. Valdes-Garcia, and P. Avouris, "Ultrafast graphene photodetector," Nature Nanotechnology 4, 839-843 (2009).
- F. Xia, M. Steiner, Y. Lin, and P. Avouris, "A microcavity-controlled, current-drive, on-chip nanotube emitter at infrared wavelengths," Nature Nanotechnology 3, 609-613 (2008).
- Y. Vlasov, W. Green, and F. Xia, "High-throughput silicon nanophotonic wavelength-insensitive switch for on-chip optical networks," Nature Photonics 2, 242-246 (2008).
- F. Xia, L. Sekaric, and Y. Vlasov, "Ultra-compact optical buffers on a silicon chip," Nature Photonics 1, 65-71 (2007). (Cover story)
- F. Xia, M. Rooks, L. Sekaric, and Y. Vlasov, "Ultra-compact high order ring resonator filters using submicron silicon photonic wires for on-chip optical interconnects," Optics Express 15, 11934-11941 (2007).
- F. Xia, L. Sekaric, and Y. Vlasov, "Mode conversion losses in silicon-on-insulator photonic wire based racetrack resonators," Optics Express 14, 3872-3886 (2006).
- F. Xia, V. Menon, and S. Forrest, "Photonic integration using asymmetric twin-waveguide (ATG) technology (I): concepts and theory," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 11, 17-29 (2005).
- V. Menon, F. Xia, and S. Forrest, "Photonic integration using asymmetric twin-waveguide (ATG) technology (II): devices," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 11, 30-42 (2005).
- F. Xia, J. K. Thomson, M. R. Gokhale, P. Studenkov, J. Wei, W. Lin, and S. Forrest, "An asymmetric twin-waveguide high-bandwidth photodiode using a lateral taper coupler," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 13, 845-847 (2001).
- 8,395,103: Avalanche impact ionization amplification devices
- 8,378,465: Method and apparatus for optical modulation
- 8,232,516: Avalanche impact ionization amplification devices
- 8,139,904: Method and apparatus for implementing optical deflection switching using coupled resonators
- 8,053,782: Single and few-layer graphene based photodetecting devices
- 7,999,344: Optoelectronic device with germanium photodetector
- 7,880,201: Optical modulator using a serpentine dielectric layer between silicon layers
- 7,790,495: Optoelectronic device with germanium photodetector
- 7,684,666: Method and apparatus for tuning an optical delay line
- 7,515,793: Waveguide photodetector
- 7,373,048: Polarization insensitive semiconductor optical amplifier
- 7,333,689: Photonic integrated devices having reduced absorption loss
- 6,795,622: Photonic integrated circuits